Croatia , Bosnia, Montenegro-05/11-5/19/2019

Dubrovnik-Day 3-Museums/churches-5/13-/2019

Franciscan monastery

The Franciscan Church and Monastery is a large complex belonging to the Order of the Friars Minor. It consists of a monastery, a church, a library and a pharmacy. It is situated right at the entrance of the Pile gate.  The Franciscan order arrived in Dubrovnik around 1234 and built the first Franciscan monastery in the 13th century in late Romanesque style by the master Mihoje Brajkov of Bar.

Access to the cloister and the museum via the small passage between the monastery church and St Savior's church.

 

The cloister is one of the most beautiful late-Romanesque structures in Dalmatia. Notice how each capital over the incredibly slim, dual columns is topped by a different figure, portraying human heads, animals and floral arrangements.

 

At the center is a small square garden thatís shaded by orange and palm trees.

 

 

The monastery's inner courtyard consists of rows of elegant double pillars columns,

Beautiful fountain in the inner courtyard.

 

The cloister is in a Romanesque style by master Mihoje Brajkov. a local sculptor.

 

 

There are a series of frescos depicting the life of St. Francis of Assisi.  Some of them have been painted over earlier frescoes because of poor conditions.

 

This one is depicting the death of St. Francis.

 

 

Mores scenes depicting the life of St. Francis of Assisi.

 

We walked around the cloister and we are now on the opposite side of the courtyard facing the fountain.

 

Close look at the inner courtyard.

 

We are now leaving the monastery and heading to Dubrovnik Cathedral.

 

Dubrovnik Cathedral

The cathedral was built on the site of several former cathedrals, including 7th, 10th and 11th century buildings, and their 12th century successor in the Romanesque style. The cathedral was  largely funded by the English king Richard the Lion Heart.  On his way back from the 3rd crusade, Richard was shipwrecked nearby.  He promised God that if he survived, he would build a church on the spot where he landed which happed to be Lokrum island, just offshore.  At Dubrovnik's request, Richard agreed to build his token of thanks inside the City instead.  It was the finest Romanesque church on the Adriatic before it was destroyed by the 1667 earthquake.  This version is 18th century Roman Baroque.

 

The portal of the facade is flanked by four Corinthian columns. On top of the central part is a large Baroque window and a balustrade with statues of saints. The deep niches in the facade contains statues of Saint Blaise (patron saint of Dubrovnik) and Joseph with Child.

 

The interior of the church was reconstructed in Baroque style with a single nave. The marble pulpit survived the earthquake of 1667.

 

The main altar holds a polyptych (a painting, typically an altarpiece, consisting of more than three leaves) by Titian, portraying the Assumption of the Virgin. Dating from around 1552, it was moved to the cathedral from the church of St. Lazarus.

 

There was a mess going on and so we sat here for a good 15 minutes.

   

The votive altar of Our Lady of the Port was used by seamen and their families who commonly prayed at the altar and left jewelry as an offering to keep them safe while at sea.

 

 

Side altar with a statue of Jesus on the cross.

 



Prayer in session...

Confession box located in the side altar.

 

A really ornate statue of Jesus in one of the side altar.

"Our Lady of the Harbor" framed by a silver revetment.

 

This ornate organ located on the 2nd story of top of the entrance was crafted by Ivan Feller Slovnian in 1690.

 

 

 

Altar of St John of Nepomuk, 18th century, Dubrovnik Cathedral, Dubrovnik, Croatia. He is flanked by statues of Hope and Faith.

Another side altar.

 

 

Next...Rector's Palace/churches/museums

 

Home

Travel

Our house

Birthdays

Photo Gallery

 Mon  petit coin