UC Berkeley

Tour continuation

Lunch in Berkeley

Dinner chez Loan/Minh

Tour continuation...

Here we are gathering in front of Doe Memorial Library. 

The Doe Memorial Library is the main library on campus. The library is named after its benefactor, Charles Franklin Doe, who was persuaded by the then President of the University of California, Benjamin Ide Wheeler, in 1904 to bequeath funds for its construction. It is located adjacent to the Bancroft Library.   Each semester, the week prior to and during finals, Doe library is open 24 hours in order to provide a safe study hall for the student body.  Inside the library The Gardner Collection is a four-story underground structure consisting of 52 miles of bookshelves, housing some of the University's most prized collections. The Main Stacks were constructed in 1997 with four large skylights to allow for natural lighting of the underground structure. The Gardner Main Stacks connect the Doe and Moffitt Libraries by means of an underground hallway, this is the only way to enter the Main Stacks after hours.



The libraries together cover over 12 acres (49,000 m2) of land and form one of the largest library complexes in the world.  The main collections are housed in the subterranean Gardner Main Stacks and Moffitt Undergraduate Library. The Bancroft Library, with holdings of over 400,000 printed volumes, maintains a collection that documents the history of the western part of North America, with an emphasis on California, Mexico and Central America.

Memorial Glade sits atop the underground extension of the main library. This area, once the university arboretum, was for over 40 years covered with a row of "temporary" buildings, named T-1, T-2, etc. Built to handle the surge of enrollment following World War II, most of the T-buildings were demolished in 1993 when excavation of the library pit began. The last was removed in 1995 and now not a trace remains. Under the great lawn there lies a huge five story building, housing the main library stacks. Only the glass-roofed light wells hint at its presence.

The dedication of a campus monument honoring the “Builders of Berkeley,” past and present, ensures that their names will be remembered by future generations. One granite panel of the monument on the terrace of Doe Library is nearly filled by the names of the past 135 years’ most generous donors, but a facing panel is entirely blank, awaiting the inscription of the next century’s honor roll. 

The generosity of private donors has been central to the success of the University of California since its founding in 1868. Many of the most famous campus landmarks bear the names of benefactors, such as Sather Gate and Hearst Gymnasium, Doe Memorial Library and the Tang Center, Boalt Hall and the Haas School of Business




Hearst Mining Building

Considered by some to be John Galen Howard's masterpiece. The style is a blend of Beaux-Arts and California Mission. One of its most admired features is the Memorial Vestibule, a three-story lobby-museum space supported by trim iron arches and illuminated by three dome skylights above vaulting surfaced.  


Back the early 1900, the study of mining was vital to the campus but was closed because it was so outdated that it no longer supported the demands of modern research.  After a 90 million upgrade and extensive project the building is restored to its former beauty in the 19th style  but with a 21st century research capacity.  


The 74,000 square foot LE Conte Hall building house administrative and faculty offices, classrooms, laboratories, lecture halls, and workshops. 

Completed in 1923, Le Conte Hall is an important example of the Beaux-Arts campus architecture of John Galen Howard. 


1910 Memorial bridge.  The class of 1910 with the generous cooperation of Mrs. Phoebe A. Hearst erected a memorial footbridge over strawberry creek north of the faculty club. 

Loosely translated as: "This bridge [which] I present, the class of students which graduated in the year 1910 gave, that their memory might not perish among posterity. Phoebe Appearson Hearst was of the greatest aid."


Listening to our tour guide about the bridge.

Gorgeous Oak tree must be a hundred year old!

Weird looking tree.  The trunk is very unusual.


This is the end of the tour!  We are now meeting with Andrew, Tiffany and Christ at the Sather gate at Noon for lunch.

Next.. Lunch



Our house


Photo Gallery

 Mon  petit coin