7 days in Italy-5-19 to 5/25/2022

Day 1- Florence


Day 2- Florence

Abbey Fiorentina

Piazza della Signoria

Palazzo Vecchio Museum

Lunch at All'antico Vinaio

Santa Maria del Fior Basilica

Boboli Garden

Dinner at Golden View

Day 3- Florence

Basilica San Croce

Ponte Vecchio/Lunch

Discovering Florence

Discovering Florence, cont'd

Dinner at il Santo Bevitore

Florence at night

Day 4-Cinque Terre


Lunch/Quick tour

Church of San Giovanni Battista

Dinner at Dau Cila



Day 5-Manarola/Corniglia



Lunch at Terrarossa

Discovering Corniglia


Dinner at Belforte

Day 6-Monterosso/Vernazza


Monterosso/Old Town

Blue trail hiking

Blue trail continuation

Dinner at Macelleria Trattoria


Day 7- Riomaggiore

Walking tour

Walking tour continuation

Sunset boat tour

Dinner at Dau Cila


Day -8-Train to Milan

Day 6- Cinque Terre-5/24/2022

Old town Monterosso

We are now headed to the old town.  We  took the long route instead of the tunnel that cut through the hill/Mountain.


The tunnel in on the left and above is a foot path leading to the old town.


We are now on Piazza Garibaldi, the main square in the old town.


Entering the old town.


The Church of San Giovanni Battista, located in the main square of the old town.


Chiesa di San Giovannie Battista (Church of St. John Baptist) is a catholic church.

This church was constructed between the 13th and 14th centuries.  in the Gothic-Genovese style.  The facade dated from 1307 is characterized by a two tone white and dark serpentine face. A large rose window is richly sculpted in white marble above the main portal



The lunette of the portal is an 18th century fresco depicting the Baptism of Christ.


The interior of the church.


The main altar.


Close look at the main altar.


View of the church from the main altar.


Next door to the church is the Oratory of the Confraternita dei Neri Mortis et Orationis also known as the Oratory of Santa Maria di Porto Salvo.

Built in the 17th century in Baroque style.  The facade is tow-tone plastered with back and white stripes and renovated in 1922.

The Entrance is preceded by a short flight of steps leading into a simple portal with the lunette depicting a skull superimposed on tow crossbones and the words  "Mortis et Orationis Confraternitas:.


The main nave


Closer look at the altar.


The brothers wore a black robe, with a black cord, a hood and a collar, which also had the function of a mask to try to defend themselves from the strong smell of decomposition.


The brotherhood played a very important role in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, mainly to give burial to the less well-off people, at a time when it was common not to have money for this last act of charity. 


The activity of the brotherhood, also called "The company of death", was also completed with forty hours of prayer and adoration of the consecrated host. For this reason the company took the name of Mortis et Orationis and with Pope Pius IV, in 1560 it was recognized the right to receive alms, to build churches and oratories and to found new brotherhoods.


The entrance/exit door.


Narrow streets in the old town surrounded by colorful houses.



The old town is very charming.


Lots of winding streets and steep stone staircases that are very common to all five villages.


NEXT.... Day 6-Blue trail HIking





Our house


Photo Gallery

 Mon  petit coin